SRI LANKA ELEPHANT SURVEY


Sri Lanka, First Elephant Survey for My Second Book


Pictured here with Rani, a roadside attraction, former logging elephant. Rani was the first captive elephant I spent time with. My first book, on Africa's elephants, brought me familiarity with wild elephants. Now, as I shift gears to a part of the world that has a long history of capturing and abusing elephants, I had to adjust my approach to the survey and my attitude toward what I was seeing. It's horrifying to witness how the gentle and intelligent elephant is treated, but my purpose is to concentrate on documenting what I see. I opened my mouth a few times but quickly was reminded each time that an outsider has no business meddling in things that have gone on as accepted for centuries. So, in time, I'll see what the world community has to say about the way elephants are treated in Asia.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KILIMANJARO CLIMB TANZANIA

WHERE BUFFALO ROAM

SUMATRA ELEPHANT SURVEY